Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Battling eczema

One day, while surfing the net for more eczema related information, I came across this website and realized that I have not been using steroid correctly. Knowing all the side effects of steroids, I used it “over sparingly” on Ian. As a result, his eczema never completely clear up and I have to use steroid on a daily basis. So, I started using it correctly, as per the recommended amount and his eczema is better but still does not clear completely. Nonetheless, I have tried many types of steroids and Derma-Smooth eczema oil is the one that works best for Ian. http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/27000764/

As much as I would like avoid using steroid, I really can’t. It is a double-edged sword. If I use it, there may be side-effects but his skin condition is under control. If I don’t, his skin will deteriorate which will affect his mood, his feeding and sleeping routine. I have gone one day free of steroid and his eczema will flare-up the very next day. My heart aches when I see his flare ups. There is really no cure for eczema, one has to just outgrow it (some babies never outgrow eczema and has to live with it for the rest of their lives). I can only control it and pray very hard every night for God’s healing power.

I have been reading quite a lot about steroid free alternatives and here are some things that I am doing. Share with me if any of you know about other alternatives.

-I am bathing him in a bath oil called Robathol. The oil disperse in the water as an emulsion, I think it is pretty good but not very oily though. Sometimes, I would rub some organic olive oil and sea salt mixture on his body as soap. I never used soap at all.
-I am using Vanicream (http://www.psico.com/) and Aquaphor. So far, I find these two creams to be the best. I have tried also Aveeno, Eucerin, Vaseline and other store brands. Cetaphil is a really good cream but it is not oily enough for his body. I use that on his face because it is lighter and won’t clog his pores. Sometimes, his face would flare up and I would put a thick layer of Cetaphil on his face at night and it would clear up in the morning. Sometimes, the redness is too much for Cetaphil to clear up, then I have to use Desonide (steroid).
-I recently started giving him flaxseed oil. I read that it helps with eczema (maybe not a quick solution but hope it will help in the long run). Plus, I cannot give Ian fish yet because or his allergic nature. I will have to wait till he is older and get him tested before I let him try fish. -I recently discovered a cream called Tri-Ceram. It is a barrier repair cream and clinical studies have proven that it helps with eczema. It is expensive but worth a try. I have been using this on Ian for a couple weeks now and have seen some very slight improvement, perhaps from this cream.
-Probiotics is becoming more and more popular and I have asked my doctors and they all said it will do no harm but may or may not help with eczema. I have been giving this to Ian for a couple weeks.
-I have also tried all kinds of anti-histamines (Claritin, Benadryl, Singulair, Zrytec ) and now trying Allegra to make his itch less so that he can sleep better at night. I think they all help but he still itches a lot.
-I am feeding him organic foods as much as I can.

I can only try to prevent him from scratching but sometimes, he still manages to hurt himself from scratching.
All in all, I have to thank God because I have seen some slight improvement in his eczema over the last month.

Ian is turning one in 9 days. My baby is all grown up looks like a toddler now. Here are some pictures...


Curious look...

Found something in a paper bag
Getting the "something" from the bag

Got it...he continued to explore what's in the box
That's my baby


No comments: